As someone who’s been to more weddings than I can count, I’ve seen my fair share of wedding fashion faux pas.
While there are plenty of rules when it comes to what to wear to a wedding, one of the most common questions I see asked is whether or not you can wear a jumpsuit.
Can you wear a jumpsuit to a wedding?
Yes, you can wear a jumpsuit to a wedding. Most brides and grooms do not mind if guests wear a classy jumpsuit. You can wear a jumpsuit to a wedding ceremony, reception, rehearsal dinner, bridal shower, or engagement party. Choose jumpsuits that match the formality and colors of the wedding.
In this article, you’ll learn everything you need to know about wearing a jumpsuit to a wedding.
Can You Wear a Jumpsuit to a Wedding? (3 Reasons It’s Ok)
There are at least three good reasons its okay to wear a jumpsuit to a wedding:
- Jumpsuits can be classy
- Jumpsuits come in all colors
- There are no wedding “rules” for jumpsuits
Jumpsuits Can Be Classy
Jumpsuits can be classy when they are well made and fit well.
They can be dressed up or down with the right accessories. A jumpsuit can be a great alternative to a dress for a wedding.
Jumpsuits Come In All Colors
Jumpsuits come in all colors.
That means you can find a jumpsuit to match any wedding color scheme. There are also many different styles of jumpsuits, so you can find one that fits your personality and style.
Just avoid wearing a white, cream, or ivory jumpsuit.
There Are no Wedding Etiquette “Rules” Against Jumpsuits
Since there are no “rules” against wearing a jumpsuit to a wedding, you can wear whatever you feel comfortable in.
If you want to wear a jumpsuit to your friend’s wedding, go for it. There is no need to feel self-conscious or like you are breaking any etiquette rules.
Is a Jumpsuit Considered Formal?
A jumpsuit is a one-piece garment that covers the body from the neck to the ankles.
Jumpsuits can be casual, semi-formal, or formal depending on the style. Not all jumpsuits are considered formal, so choose one that matches the vibe and formality of the wedding.
If you’re looking for a more casual jumpsuit, try one with a print or in denim fabric.
For a semi-formal look, go for a solid color in a luxurious fabric like silk or satin. And finally, for a truly formal look, choose a black or red jumpsuit with embellishments like beads or sequins.
Is a Jumpsuit Too Casual for a Wedding?
Wedding dress codes can be tricky to navigate, especially if you’re not used to parsing through the often confusing language of formalwear.
Are jumpsuits too casual for a wedding? Most jumpsuits are definitely wedding-appropriate, but it all comes down to the formality of the event and the style of the jumpsuit itself.
For example, a jeans or sweatpants jumpsuit would be too casual for most weddings.
While a more formal silk or lace jumpsuit would be perfectly acceptable for almost any wedding. Of course, the best way to know for sure is to check the dress code listed on the wedding invitation.
If it’s an extremely formal affair, it’s probably best to err on the side of caution and go with a dress or skirt instead. But if the dress code is more relaxed, feel free to rock a wedding-worthy jumpsuit with confidence.
Jumpsuits at a Wedding: 7 Quick Answers
When it comes to jumpsuits, I get questions about highly specific situations such as the type of wedding and styles of the jumpsuit itself.
Here are 7 quick answers to common questions people ask.
Can I Wear a Jumpsuit to a Black Tie Wedding?
Jumpsuits are elegant, sophisticated, and they come in a wide range of styles to suit a black-tie wedding.
Plus, they’re much more comfortable than a dress (no worrying about your hemline or straps falling down). For a really formal affair, I suggest that you go with a floor-length black jumper made out of silk or lace.
Can I Wear a Jumpsuit to a Cocktail Wedding?
Cocktail attire is typically dressier than business casual but not as formal as black tie.
For women, a cocktail dress or dressy separates are usually the best bet. For men, slacks and a sport coat or blazer are typically appropriate. But what if you want to wear something a little different?
A jumpsuit can be a great option for cocktail wedding attire.
When choosing a jumpsuit for a cocktail wedding, look for one in a dressy fabric like silk or satin. Choose a jumpsuit that is relatively fitted and avoid anything too casual or leisurely.
Opt for a style with sleeves or go for a sleeveless look and pair it with a jacket or cardigan.
As for color, stick to neutrals like black or navy, or go for a bolder hue like red or purple.
Can I Wear a Jumpsuit to a Semi-Formal Wedding?
Generally speaking, semi-formal attire is dressier than casual but not as formal as black tie.
Think of it as “cocktail attire with a little extra oomph.”
For women, this could mean a dressy pantsuit, an evening gown, or – you guessed it – a jumpsuit. When choosing a jumpsuit for a semi-formal wedding, look for one in a luxurious fabric like silk or velvet, and opt for a darker color.
Can You Wear a Short Jumpsuit to a Wedding?
The other day I was shopping with a friend and she found the most adorable short jumpsuit.
It was coral and very flattering. She fell in love with it and immediately wanted to know if she could wear it to a wedding she had coming up.
While I think it’s a great idea to break the mold and not wear a dress to a wedding, there are some things you should take into consideration before committing to a short jumpsuit.
The first thing you need to consider is the dress code.
If the dress code is cocktail attire or casual, then you’re in luck and can definitely wear your short jumpsuit. If the dress code is semi-formal or formal, however, I would recommend choosing something else.
A short jumpsuit might be too casual for those types of weddings.
Another thing to think about is the style of the wedding. If it’s an outdoor summer wedding, then again, you can definitely get away with wearing a short jumpsuit.
But if it’s an indoor winter wedding, you might want to consider something else because you don’t want to be too cold.
Can You Wear a Strapless Jumpsuit to a Wedding?
A strapless jumpsuit is a versatile and stylish piece of clothing that can be worn for a variety of occasions, including a wedding.
While it might not be appropriate for all weddings, a strapless jumpsuit can be an excellent choice for a more casual semi-formal wedding.
The key to wearing a strapless jumpsuit is to choose the right style and fabric.
A fitted cotton jumpsuit in a neutral color will be comfortable and appropriate for most weddings, while a silk or chiffon jumpsuit in a brighter color can add a touch of glamour to an evening event.
Can You Wear a White Jumpsuit to a Wedding?
I don’t recommend wearing a white jumpsuit to a wedding.
In almost every case, you should avoid wearing a white outfit (or even an off-white or close-to-white color). Traditionally, wedding etiquette states that only the bride and/or groom wear all white.
Unless the bride and groom say it’s okay, choose another color jumpsuit.
Can You Wear a Romper to a Wedding?
Rompers are typically shorter in length and have a more casual feel than a jumpsuit.
They are also often made from lighter fabrics, making them ideal for warm-weather weddings. Rompers can be dressy or casual, but they tend to lean more towards the latter.
If you are attending a casual or outdoor wedding, a romper may be a perfect choice.
Jumpsuits, on the other hand, are usually longer in length and have a more formal feel. They are also often made from heavier fabrics, making them better suited for cooler-weather weddings.
Jumpsuits can also be dressy or casual, but they tend to err on the side of formal.
For most weddings, I would go with a jumper or dress.
How To Wear a Jumpsuit to a Wedding
Here are some of my best tips for how to wear a jumpsuit to a wedding:
- Keep it Classy – A jumpsuit can be a chic and stylish alternative to a dress, but it’s important to choose a style that is appropriate for a wedding. Avoid anything too casual or revealing, and opt for a look that is classic and elegant.
- Add some Sparkle – Jazz up your jumpsuit with some sparkly jewelry or accessories. This will help you to stand out from the guests who are wearing dresses.
- Choose the Right Fabric – A wedding is typically a formal occasion, so it’s important to choose a jumpsuit made from a luxurious fabric such as silk or satin. Avoid anything made from denim or jersey, as these fabrics are too casual.
- Consider the Color – When choosing a jumpsuit for a wedding, it’s best to stick to neutral colors such as black, navy blue, or red. These colors will compliment any wedding color scheme and they won’t clash with the bride’s dress.
- Get it Tailored – Even if you find the perfect jumpsuit off the rack, it’s worth getting it tailored to ensure that it fits you perfectly. A well-fitting jumpsuit will look much more polished than one that is too loose or too tight.
Here is a good (and short) video about how to wear a jumpsuit to a wedding like a pro:
Classy Jumpsuits for Weddings (5 Examples)
Check out this chart with classy jumpsuits for weddings:
|Jumpsuits for Weddings||Price|
|Classy Jumpsuit||Get the cheapest price|
|Wedding guest jumpsuit with sleeves||Get the cheapest price|
|Black dressy jumpsuit||Get the cheapest price|
|Petite jumpsuit||Get the cheapest price|
|Plus size dressy jumpsuit||Get the cheapest price|
Here are a few more examples:
- The Silk Jumpsuit -This sleek and simple jumpsuit is perfect for a black tie affair. The silk fabric looks luxurious, while the clean lines keep it looking chic. Pair it with heels and minimal jewelry for an understated yet glam look.
- The Lace Jumpsuit – For a romantic look, opt for a lace jumpsuit. It’s feminine and elegant, without being too fussy. Choose a style with long sleeves if you’re concerned about being too exposed; otherwise, go for something sleeveless or strapless. Complete the look with pearl earrings and stiletto heels.
- The Halter Jumpsuit – Show off your stylish side with a halter jumpsuit. This daring silhouette is perfect for making a statement at a black tie event. To avoid looking too formal, choose a jumpsuit with relaxed wide-leg pants. Finish the look with cat-eye sunglasses and strappy heels.
Final Thoughts: Can You Wear a Jumpsuit to a Wedding?
The bottom line is that you can wear a classy or dressy jumpsuit to a wedding.
If you have other questions about wedding attire (such as, “Can you wear cream to a wedding?“), then check out our other articles on this site.
- Can You Wear White Shoes to a Wedding? (7 Rules Explained)
- Can You Wear Red Lipstick to a Wedding as a Guest? (5 Rules Explained)
- Can You Wear a White Jacket to a Wedding? (5 Rules Explained)